Term 1 began on Tuesday 12 February according to schedule. Barbara and the committee have been hard at work planning the year and the latest version of the programme is here:
The theme for the mid-year concert is names, personal names to be precise. This from Barbara:
…I would like to do a name-themed concert, the rule being that each piece has a personal name as a title and a specific character as a subject. This was inspired by the number of Barbaras in the choir—naturally, there will be a rendition of “Barbara Ann”—and I think we’ll have a great time with it. The rules can be slightly tweaked as needed, but there’s a heap of repertoire to choose from and I’m looking forward to getting started.
Suggested repertoire at this stage, in no particular order:
- “Zadok the Priest” – Handel
- “Bänkelsänger Willie” and “John Anderson” – set by Robert Schumann. I want to sing these in German – I can help with pronunciation, as I am sure others in the choir can.
- “Hey Jude”, “Eleanor Rigby”, and/or “Michelle” – The Beatles
- “Barbara Ann” – The Beach Boys
- “Clara Clara” – George Gerswhin (from Porgy and Bess)
- “Maggie and Millie and Molly and May” – Eric Whitacre
- “Anthony O’Daly” and “Mary Hynes” – Samuel Barber
- “Laura” – David Raskin
And if we’re feeling super goofy, there’s a really fun, nerdy version of “Billie Jean”, by Michael Jackson. I’ll keep picking up repertoire as we go; as always, please shout out if you have ideas for repertoire.
[Mark: The one that immediately springs to mind for New Zealanders of a certain age is “Cheryl Moana Marie”. Not really a choral song though.]