On this page you can access rehearsal files for Shaky Places: a song cycle of New Zealand poems for mixed voices. These are free, a gift from Capital Choir. They make it easy to learn and rehearse your part, whether soprano, alto, tenor or bass.
There are several posts about the rehearsal files on the Capital Choir blog.
- The links to rehearsal files on this page originally pointed to my Dropbox Public folder.
- At some time in 2017/2018, Dropbox dropped support for this type of access so in March 2018 I copied the files to an area on the Two Short Dogs web site and changed all the links.
- In July 2018 I copied all the Shaky Places files to the Capital Choir’s Google Drive folder, where they can be accessed via links to their parent folders—see the following section. The individual links in the remainder of the document should still work, but some day when I’m feeling energetic I will swap them over to the Google Drive files, or just delete them.
- In August 2018 I converted all the MIDI files for the individual songs and parts to MP3 format. The MP3 files are easier to play than the MIDI originals (you normally don’t have to find a special player) and as a bonus they seem to sound better.
Shaky Places on Capital Choir’s Google Drive folder
- A synthesised version of the whole song cycle in MIDI and MP3 formats
- Rehearsal files for the individual songs in MIDI and MP3 formats
- Voice/piano study recordings for soprano and alto
MIDI file of complete cycle (14 songs)
Here is a MIDI file of the entire song cycle. It is the most accurate representation of the music. It’s good for playing right through to get a sense of the structure.
MP3 version of complete cycle (14 songs).
This MP3 should work on all devices that can play audio files. (We made it using SolMiRe MIDI to MP3 Online Converter.)
Individual songs: MIDI and MP3 files
This is a set of rehearsal files, one for each part for each song, plus an all-voices one in most cases. Each of the parts in turn has been emphasised. The originals are in MIDI format, and they have also been rendered to MP3. The simplest way to access these is the Google Drive folders (MIDI and MP3). Below are links to the individual files (MIDI only) on the Two Short Dogs FTP server.
Once in a While
Maui’s Alternate Prayer
Twelve Moon Lines
Not a Maori Hui
After the Tremor
For the First Time
Shaky Places rehearsal files (voice & piano)
These are recordings made by Felicia and are currently available for soprano and alto only. Some of the alto recordings are spread over several files.